This is my go to recipe for black beans that go into something else – burritos, quesadillas, super-awesome comfort dip, and so on. They are pretty intense on their own, so not the best for something like black beans and rice.
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup stock
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- saute onions and garlic until just softened
- add beans, spices, stock, wine and water
- bring to a boil for 2 minutes, reduce and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar, simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice